Lean to Play Hockey Class Information
Skill Level: New/Beginner/Intermediate
*High School Developmental Program available for grades 6th-12th
Ages: 4 years old and older
Day & Time
Sunday Afternoon: 3:00-3:50pm
Class Summary: The Learn to Play Hockey session is designed to improve young players skating skills while also developing their basic hockey skills.
8 Week Session: $110
6 Week Session:$85.00
Walk-On Per Session: $15.00
Spring Session: May 7 – June 18 (No class May 28, 6 week session)
Summer Session: July 9 – August 27
3:10-3:25: Skating Emphasis
3:25-3:40: Hockey Skills Emphasis
3:40-3:50: Game or Scrimmage
Learn to Play: Phase 1 – 4 Progression Program
Phase 1: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 1 or Hockey 1.
- Falling and Recovery
- Proper hockey stance with and without a hockey stick
- Forward push and two foot guide
- Forward swizzles
- Forward stationary stop
- Transition: front to back and back to front
- Backwards wiggles and starting swizzles
- Can pass stationary, starting to pass while moving
Phase 2: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 4 or Hockey 2.
- All of Phase 1 requirements completed
- Alternating forwards c-cuts on a straight line
- Alternation backward c-cuts on a straight line
- Backwards snowplow stop
- Two-foot moving snowplow
- Hockey Skills: moving passing and proper wrist shot
Phase 3: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 6 or Hockey 3.
- All of Phase 1 & 2 requirements completed
- One-foot snowplow stop-introduce hips with 1/4 turn twist to hockey stop
- Forwards outside edge half circles (large C’s), alternating feet on the short or long axis of the rink
- Backward C-cuts (1/2 swizzle pumps) on a circle, both directions
- Full strides using 45 degree v-push with good recovery using alternating arm drive
- Shuffle stride-explosive powerful alternating heel pushes
- Hockey Skills: passing, stick-handling, wrist shot and backhand
Phase 4: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 8 or Hockey 4.
- All of Phase 1 – 3 elements have been fluent in movement
- Quick starts using forward v-start
- Backward one-foot glide, right and left
- Forward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Backward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Hockey stop (stopping to the left and to the right, with speed)
- Bonus Skills: Forward to backward mohawk pivots (both directions, right and left) from powerful, full strides
Full Equipment is Required
Equipment List: hockey bag, helmet, neck guard, mouth guard, elbow pads, gloves, shorts (jock/jill), hockey pants, shin pads, hockey socks, skaters, hockey stick, and hockey tape for the stick.
- USA Hockey Emphasized Curriculum
- 1 Free Public Session for practice per week offered Sunday 4:00-5:20pm
- Hockey skate rental if needed
Contact Rena Leone at email@example.com for further information
Click HERE to register.