The goal of the Pittsburgh Ice Arena Hockey School is to expose youth players to the fun and excitement that is associated with playing one of the fastest games on Earth! Through a curriculum that is designed to teach and build upon the basic skills of hockey such as “hockey position”, shooting, passing, skating, and much more!
Our staff is passionate and, for many of us, the opportunity to coach children brings us back to when we too had child-like excitement to get on the ice! We relish the opportunity to spread our enthusiasm and love of game to the next generation of hockey stars!
Our program can be broken down into the basic levels below:
Level 1: New players who have just finished their Learn to Skate classes (most ages will be 4-6).
Level 2: Beginner players looking to learn and build upon basic skills (most ages 6-9).
Level 3: Intermediate players looking to improve on previously acquired skills (most ages 9-12).
Depending upon the number of players and their associated skill levels, the ice will be split up to 3 groups…one for each skill level previously mentioned.
*(All classes will be held on Sundays from 3:00 to 3:50PM)*
July 12th to August 30th (8 Weeks)
September 30th to November 1st (8 Weeks)
November 8th to December 20th (7 Weeks)
January 3rd to February 21st (8 Weeks)
February 28th to April 25th (8 Weeks)
May 2nd to June 27th (8 Weeks)
(2021) July 11th to August 29th (8 Weeks)
8 Week Session = $145.00
7 Week Session = $125.00
Walk-On = $25.00
Level 1 A: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 1 or Hockey 1.
- Falling and Recovery
- Proper hockey stance with and without a hockey stick
- Forward push and two foot guide
- Forward swizzles
- Forward stationary stop
- Transition: front to back and back to front
- Backwards wiggles and starting swizzles
- Can pass stationary, starting to pass while moving
Level 1 B: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 4 or Hockey 2.
- All of Phase 1A requirements completed
- Alternating forwards c-cuts on a straight line
- Alternation backward c-cuts on a straight line
- Backwards snowplow stop
- Two-foot moving snowplow
- Hockey Skills: moving passing and proper wrist shot
Level 2: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 6 or Hockey 3.
- All of Phase 1 & 2 requirements completed
- One-foot snowplow stop-introduce hips with 1/4 turn twist to hockey stop
- Forwards outside edge half circles (large C’s), alternating feet on the short or long axis of the rink
- Backward C-cuts (1/2 swizzle pumps) on a circle, both directions
- Full strides using 45 degree v-push with good recovery using alternating arm drive
- Shuffle stride-explosive powerful alternating heel pushes
- Hockey Skills: passing, stick-handling, wrist shot and backhand
Level 3: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 8 or Hockey 4.
- All of Phase 1 – 3 elements have been fluent in movement
- Quick starts using forward v-start
- Backward one-foot glide, right and left
- Forward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Backward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Hockey stop (stopping to the left and to the right, with speed)
- Bonus Skills: Forward to backward mohawk pivots (both directions, right and left) from powerful, full strides
*Full Equipment is Required (loaner equipment available if needed)*
Equipment List: hockey bag, helmet, neck guard, mouth guard, elbow pads, gloves, shorts (jock/jill), hockey pants, shin pads, hockey socks, skaters, hockey stick, and hockey tape for the stick.
- USA Hockey Emphasized Curriculum
- 1 Free Public Session for practice per week offered Sunday 4:00-5:20pm
- Hockey skate rental if needed
Contact Skyler Smith at 724-334-4423, or email email@example.com for further information
Click HERE to register.