Pittsburgh Ice Arena Hockey School Info
We are excited to offer 3 classes to choose from:
Level 1 is for new players that just came from Learn to Skate (most ages will be 4-6).
Level 2 is for beginner players looking to learn basic hockey skills (most ages 6-9).
Level 3 is for Intermediate skill level players looking to improve on advanced hockey skills (most ages 9-12).
Skill Level: New/Beginner/Intermediate will be based more on skill level than age.
Day & Time
Sunday Afternoon: 3:00-3:50pm
Class Summary: The PIA Hockey School session is designed to improve young players skating skills, while also developing their basic hockey skills. Classes are broken down into groups based on skill level. The ice will be split into 3 groups.
8 Week Session: $125.00
7 Week Session: $110.00
Walk-On Per Session: $20.00
Fall 1: September 8 – October 27
Fall 2: November 3 – December 22
Winter 1 : January 5 – March 8
(no class January 19 or February 16)
Winter 2 : March 15 – May 10
(no class April 12)
Spring Session (6 weeks):
May 17 – June 28
(No Class May 24)
July 12 – August 30
Hockey School: Level 1 – 3 Progression Program
Level 1 A: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 1 or Hockey 1.
- Falling and Recovery
- Proper hockey stance with and without a hockey stick
- Forward push and two foot guide
- Forward swizzles
- Forward stationary stop
- Transition: front to back and back to front
- Backwards wiggles and starting swizzles
- Can pass stationary, starting to pass while moving
Level 1 B: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 4 or Hockey 2.
- All of Phase 1A requirements completed
- Alternating forwards c-cuts on a straight line
- Alternation backward c-cuts on a straight line
- Backwards snowplow stop
- Two-foot moving snowplow
- Hockey Skills: moving passing and proper wrist shot
Level 2: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 6 or Hockey 3.
- All of Phase 1 & 2 requirements completed
- One-foot snowplow stop-introduce hips with 1/4 turn twist to hockey stop
- Forwards outside edge half circles (large C’s), alternating feet on the short or long axis of the rink
- Backward C-cuts (1/2 swizzle pumps) on a circle, both directions
- Full strides using 45 degree v-push with good recovery using alternating arm drive
- Shuffle stride-explosive powerful alternating heel pushes
- Hockey Skills: passing, stick-handling, wrist shot and backhand
Level 3: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 8 or Hockey 4.
- All of Phase 1 – 3 elements have been fluent in movement
- Quick starts using forward v-start
- Backward one-foot glide, right and left
- Forward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Backward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Hockey stop (stopping to the left and to the right, with speed)
- Bonus Skills: Forward to backward mohawk pivots (both directions, right and left) from powerful, full strides
Full Equipment is Required (loaner equipment available if needed)
Equipment List: hockey bag, helmet, neck guard, mouth guard, elbow pads, gloves, shorts (jock/jill), hockey pants, shin pads, hockey socks, skaters, hockey stick, and hockey tape for the stick.
- USA Hockey Emphasized Curriculum
- 1 Free Public Session for practice per week offered Sunday 4:00-5:20pm
- Hockey skate rental if needed
Contact Luke Kopchak at 724-334-4423, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information
Click HERE to register.