Pittsburgh Ice Arena Hockey Development Program Info
Skill Level: New/Beginner/Intermediate
Ages: 4 to 12 year olds
Day & Time
Sunday Afternoon: 3:00-3:50pm
Class Summary: The Learn to Play Hockey session is designed to improve young players skating skills while also developing their basic hockey skills. Classes are broken down into groups based on skill level.
8 Week Session: $125.00
7 Week Session: $110.00
Walk-On Per Session: $20.00
Spring 1: March 4 – April 29 (No class April 1)
Spring 2: May 6 – June 24 (7 week long Session, No Class May 28)
July 8 – August 26
3:00-3:10: Skating Emphasis
3:10-3:25: Skills Emphasis
3:25-3:50: Game or Scrimmage
Learn to Play: Phase 1 – 4 Progression Program
Phase 1: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 1 or Hockey 1.
- Falling and Recovery
- Proper hockey stance with and without a hockey stick
- Forward push and two foot guide
- Forward swizzles
- Forward stationary stop
- Transition: front to back and back to front
- Backwards wiggles and starting swizzles
- Can pass stationary, starting to pass while moving
Phase 2: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 4 or Hockey 2.
- All of Phase 1 requirements completed
- Alternating forwards c-cuts on a straight line
- Alternation backward c-cuts on a straight line
- Backwards snowplow stop
- Two-foot moving snowplow
- Hockey Skills: moving passing and proper wrist shot
Phase 3: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 6 or Hockey 3.
- All of Phase 1 & 2 requirements completed
- One-foot snowplow stop-introduce hips with 1/4 turn twist to hockey stop
- Forwards outside edge half circles (large C’s), alternating feet on the short or long axis of the rink
- Backward C-cuts (1/2 swizzle pumps) on a circle, both directions
- Full strides using 45 degree v-push with good recovery using alternating arm drive
- Shuffle stride-explosive powerful alternating heel pushes
- Hockey Skills: passing, stick-handling, wrist shot and backhand
Phase 4: Curriculum equivalent up to Learn to Skate USA Basic Skills 8 or Hockey 4.
- All of Phase 1 – 3 elements have been fluent in movement
- Quick starts using forward v-start
- Backward one-foot glide, right and left
- Forward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Backward crossovers (clockwise and counterclockwise)
- Hockey stop (stopping to the left and to the right, with speed)
- Bonus Skills: Forward to backward mohawk pivots (both directions, right and left) from powerful, full strides
Full Equipment is Required
Equipment List: hockey bag, helmet, neck guard, mouth guard, elbow pads, gloves, shorts (jock/jill), hockey pants, shin pads, hockey socks, skaters, hockey stick, and hockey tape for the stick.
- USA Hockey Emphasized Curriculum
- 1 Free Public Session for practice per week offered Sunday 4:00-5:20pm
- Hockey skate rental if needed
Contact Joe Voloch at 724-334-4423, or email email@example.com for further information
Click HERE to register.